Nov 20, 2007

Chicago Hip Hop history lesson: Caught in the Middle Magazine


Tsuji taking a piss at Psycho City San Francisco 1993


Judgemental fresh off a new music seminar MC battle win


Common Sense fresh off the release of "I Used to Lover H.E.R." single & the classic album Resurrection.

The year was 1994 & Tsuji found himself in Chicago. At the time Tsuji was heavy into Hip Hop & a new member of the Universal Zulu Nation. With dreams of releasing an album & fed up with producers flaking on him Tsuji saved up all his meager paychecks to buy two turntables, a mixer & an Ensoniq SP1200 sampling drum machine. Going by the name "Gothic" producing beats under the "Gotham City Productions" name Tsuji hooked up with some Hip Hop heads on the Northside namely tao of Syllabus Illabyss & AMC of CITM. Chicago's Fly Paper magazine had just went belly up & JBird & Kev of CITM had looked to fill the void with Caught in the Middle. I was in the right place at the right time & Kev put me down writing some reviews but mostly they just dubbed my Bay Area rap battle tapes & copied my pics I took from Psycho City & Oakland. Either way it was a cool experience. I traveled to New York with some of the crew to visit some of the peeps that bought ad space. I got to chill at Bobbito's crib for a minute (at the time he was doing the legendary show with DJ Stretch Armstrong), that dude had hella pairs of kicks. I even stayed the night at El P's crib from Company Flow. Now I don't expect them to remember some skinny (at the time) asian kid from 1994 but it's all real & it was an interesting experience.

Caught in the Middle went belly up after 2 issues but they got an E for effort.

5 comments:

Tsuji Eriku said...

oh & that pic of me taking a piss of course is not in Chicago but I just thought it was funny & it was from my hip hop days so....

Tsuji Eriku said...

Also for the record I am not cool with Kev or alot of the peeps I met while I was out there anymore, Tao what up if you're out there.

Rangudon Argeru said...

damn..seems like a life time ago when we were all "hip hop you don't stop" and shit

Coolwater Don said...

Classic shit. those mags were dope! chicago needed that shit! And TAO was a killa wit the wordplay! ha!

Coolwater Don said...

Syllabyss Illabyss could've did big things if they worked through the bs.