Nov 20, 2005

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang


"This isn't good cop, bad cop. This is fag and New Yorker."

Harry Lockhart is a hapless thief who, while running from the police, stumbles into an audition for a detective movie. He comes to Hollywood and is teamed with a gay private investigator, Gay Perry, to learn how to act like a P.I.

And does it all go downhill from there? Of course it does! Old girlfriends, a real murder, nipple peeks, mystery dead bodies, severed fingers, and not enough Shannyn Sossamon. I'd say this is a great tribute to crime noir - but I have no idea what that means.

I will say that Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer have some really good chemistry in this movie. The dialogue is quick and snappy, and their timing and delivery is practically flawless. It's worth watching just to see them play off of one another--and then you'll realize Clooney and Pitt really WERE lazy in Ocean's 11.

And since you can't do crime noir without a sultry babe (you can't? why not? I really should research this), this movie's babe is played by Michelle Monoghan.


Monoghan's character, Harmony, came from a small midwestern town to Hollywood to pursue her dream as an actress. Pretty basic stuff on the surface, but I promise the character has few more layers (and some clothes) to peel away before she is fully revealed--yes, I meant that two ways.

So please find and watch this very smart, clever little movie. It'll be worth your time. And I'm sorry if I upset you by mentioning that there's not enough Shannyn Sossamon. So here she is looking partied-out, but still cute in a brown sweatshirt...



FJ

1 comment:

Tsuji Eriku said...

Dude you just killed for me with that Shannyn chick. I will always remember her in A Knight's Tale.

looks like she did a line or two too many