Feb 23, 2006

random observations @ work, part 450-43.9.89'5

So I started this new job this week and I'm already going loco! I'm still in training, learning about the company, thrust in a classroom environment (which includes daily quizes! !Ay de mi!). First thing I noticed was that most of these people (future co-workers) don't know how to conduct themselves in a classroom. Cellphones were ringing, people were talking over other people or having side conversations while the instructor was lecturing, people would blurt out the answer even when the instructor would tell them to raise their hand... I can sense the frustration in the instructor, but was too busy scetching in my notepad to care too mcuh. The only people who were at least civil also happen to be college graduates (myself included). It was pretty sad, but not as sad as my team name...

So we had to form teams on the first day with the other people sitting at the same table. We had to come up with a team name, a slogan (or mascot) and tell a little something about ourselves. So what did the other members of my team come up with? The Newbies! "Looking 4 something New & Substantial." Our name and slogan was a diss of ourselves and lame. And I was gonna be stuck with these people for the rest of the week. The only consolation was having them do all the work during all of our class presentations while I nodded my head and pretended to write down some notes. Oh yeah, whichever team earned the most points would get an exxxtra paycheck. My team is currently in first place due to me winning in BINGO, which was the only time I voluntarily talked in class (all other times were forced). B-I-N-G-O, bitches!

And what would training be without the mandatory harassment lecture?!? For this one exercise, volunteers had to reach into a can and grab a piece of paper that had a scenario. We had to read the scenario outloud and explain if it was a form of harassment. Since my other team members volunteered, the instructor suggested I take the last scenario (she must have noticed my lack of participation). Here's my scenario: Not talking to a person of a different race because she is different is not harassment because you are not "doing" anything to the person. TRUE or FALSE?

Guillermo Tip of the Day: If you haven't eaten and your stomach is making those insane in the membrane, cartoon-like sound effects (while the entire class is quietly taking a quiz), keep a piece of paper handy that you can crumple up to disguise the sound.

and lastly, I was bumping an old DJ Spinbad mixtape, and on the intro he sampled an audio clip from some movie and it sparked something that happened to me earlier this week: Do crazy people know that they are crazy? Or do they just lose all sense of reality and think that their behavior is normal?

2 comments:

Guillermo Paco Castro Jimenez DelaSantos Reyes Jr. said...

Th weird thing is that by the end of the week, I actually bonded with all these people. Scary.

Langdon Alger said...

so you actually DO have feelings!..and that "water" coming from your orbital sockets?..they're called "tears"