Mar 30, 2008

Amae / Jibun

This book I'm reading is excellent so far "The Anatomy of Dependence" by Takeo Doi.

And so: Reaction to Takeo Doi's "The Anatomy of Dependence" (Part 1)

In the forward a John Bester tells us:

The Japanese term amae refers, initially, to the feelings that all normal infants at the breast harbour toward the mother - dependence, the desire to be passively loved, the unwillingness to be seperated from the warm mother-child circle and cast into a world of objective "reality." It is Dr. Doi's basic premise that in Japanese these feelings are somehow prolonged into and diffused throughout his adult life, so that they come to shape, to a far greater extent than in adults in the West, his whole attitude to other people and to "reality."
It seems to me (Why not?) that this might be a factor in wota / idol relationships.

However what amused me and spurred me to post my first reaction was this (Now quoting Dr. Doi's work):

[...] seeking to examine all kinds of different pathologies of mind from the viewpoint of amae [...] led me in time to a realization of the close connection between amae and the awareness of the self as expressed in the Japanese word jibun. This word jibun [...] is very rich in it's implications [...*]

[...] this awareness of a jibun presumed the existence of an inner desire to amaeru, and made itself felt in opposition to that desire. To put it briefly, a man who has a jibun is capable of checking amae, while a man at the mercy of amae has no jibun.
Again this seems like it might be relevant to a wota's psychology but mostly I just get off on how it reminds me of "Buono!"

* It was quite hard to find info on this I can only help you in this way (Google Books): http://tinyurl.com/ypl3hs

No comments: