Mar 2, 2008

Diggin' In The Crates "NY CD & Record Show" Edition

For the first time in several years, I made my way to The Woodlands in Wilkes-Barre, PA to attend their biannual hosting of the NY CD & Record Show (which actually hits a few places in the tri-state area during February and March and then during October and
November). My fiancee and I happened to be in Syracuse last weekend the night before they held it at the Ramada there, but I chose to wait until today... and was determined to get as many Jazz albums as I could get my hands on (within reason)...


Buckle your seat belts, because we're about to see what I spent money on after I passed this sign at the Woodlands...

NOTE: Most of these I photographed while they were still in their plastic keeper bags.


John Coltrane Coltrane Live at Birdland. Impulse!/ABC, 1970's repressing with green target label


Miles Davis Someday My Prince Will Come. Columbia, 1970's repressing with red/gold label. This album marked the last time Miles and Coltrane recorded together.


Rashaan Roland Kirk Boogie-Woogie String Along. Warner Bros. original pressing, promotional copy (note stamp in upper left corner under Kirk's name). This was Kirk's last studio album, he died right after making it.


Charlie Parker The Verve Years (1952-1954) Verve/Polydor original pressing. I didn't even know there was a third volume of this series out (I have the first two), so I nailed it.


Pharoah Sanders The Best of Pharoah Sanders. Impulse!/ABC, original pressing. Pharoah played with Coltrane on some of Trane's latter sides, which made me want to get this one.


Am I to presume that ABC were trying to market this to college students?


John Coltrane The Stardust Session. Double LP. Prestige/Fantasy original pressing from 1975, compiles an all-day session that resulted in three early LPs for Trane.


John Coltrane Coltrane's Sound. 70's repress on Atlantic.


John Coltrane Coltrane/Prestige 7105. 1987 reissue by Prestige/Fantasy. Trane's first ever solo album, now known by its catalog number as part of the title to differentiate it from the 1962 Impulse! album of the same name.


John Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard Again!. 1970's reissue on Impulse!/ABC, green target label.


Dig the hat on 'Trane! Pharoah Sanders is standing next to him, BTW.


John Coltrane Impressions. 1980 reissue on Impulse!/MCA, blue label.


John Coltrane Kulu Se Mama, 1980 reissue on Impulse!MCA, blue label.


Bootleg DVD-Rs. Clockwise from top - New York Dolls TV appearances (generic cover), The Stooges at Pinkpop Festival 2007, The Clash at the US Festival.


Three Beatles bootleg CD-Rs Top one is the Alternate Revolver (different mixes and demos from the Revolver album), the other two are different compilations of other "rare" tracks and outtakes called The Sweetest Apples

I love record shows. Can't wait till the next one in November. :)

2 comments:

Langdon Alger said...

looks like you broke the bank :)

CJ Marsicano said...

Actually, I only spent about $100 for the vinyl. I'd picked out about $60 worth of discs, including the Pharoah Sanders and two of the Coltranes (Stardust Session and Coltrane's Sound) from one guy, and he knocked it down to $50 right there without any bargaining on my part. And another dealer that I'd bought Impressions and Kulu Se Mama from, priced $10 apiece, had me pay $8 apiece instead.