Aug 11, 2005

Kerry House Raj Indian Cuisine


One of the oddities on Piedmont Avenue is the Kerry House Raj Indian Cuisine. It's located right next to the Kerry House Irish Pub, the local neighborhood dive bar (which I mean in the best possible way).

With the two Kerry Houses, I assume the pub was there first and I have no idea what kind of drunken wager or late-night poker loss led to the opening of an Indian restaurant in half the building. I say "half the building" because there's a doorway in the restaurant where patrons can walk back and forth between the bar and the tandoori chicken. The two establishments even share the same awning on the outside.

Today I stopped by to try the $6.95 lunch buffet. I should have been deterred by the empty dining room at the peak of the lunch hour, but I pressed on. The selection was small but not bad. The good thing about the restaurant being empty was that when I went for a scoop of the chicken curry, there was actually big chunks of chicken meat as opposed to a ladel full of peas and chicken shreds. The naan was a little tough, but the tandoori chicken was very good. And the "sauced" food was only mildly spicy -- which was good because I had to work the cafe that night and didn't want to have any "stomach issues" while steaming milk for cappuccinos.

FJ

1 comment:

Freefall Jones said...

No - I couldn't find any pics of the Kerry House online, but I did find a shot of some tandoori chicken.

I did notice, however, that the tandoori chicken pic looks like it was on the same table as the kettle chips pic from a few days ago.