Aug 23, 2005

What's My Age Again?


I, or anyone else years removed from high school, have no business drinking a 40 oz. for recreation. Nonetheless, I've had one occasionally in the last few years. Helluva buzz, but I've always kept control of my self. Even helped me shed the shyness w/o losing sense of tact. I guess the stomach-insulating dinner was a necessary part of the ritual. I didn't realize how necessary until last week @ the A's game.

My diehard A's fan roomies offered an extra ticket, which I accepted after finding out my been-awhile friends Tony & Harry were going to the game. As with the last couple of times we've hung out, Tony calls & asks if I want to drink up before the game. I agree, & we decide on 40s for our cheap buzz. I make the pick-up, choosing Steel Reserve. I figured I'd add some variety to the usual Ol' E / St. Ides rotation. We arrive @ the game & my roomies go on ahead while Tony & I work on our stuff. The plan was to have the $1 taquitos insulate the stomach from the alcohol. The oversight to that was we didn't order any food until we got inside, which we didn't do until we emptied our f'n bottles. That left a well-digested lunch whopper as my only shield against the hastily-downed 40. I was pretty much in trouble by the time we finally met up. I walked near the top of the upper deck before my roommies yelled to me, saying I passed them & went too far up.

Except puking in the arena bathroom on the way out, I don't remember anything else. I don't remember capping on everyone around us, including 2 young girls who apparently took the brunt of my abuse & relocated to other seats. I don't remember standing up with one foot on a seat ("like Capt. Morgan", according to Tony) and berating anyone on the field in an A's or Orioles uniform. I don't even remember going home. I just woke up in the clothes I wore that night (including my hat & hoodie), my keys, phone, & wallet still in my pocket, & a fat hangover. I went to the damn game, & I had to ask someone who won that night. Tony called later that day to check on me. I made it to work, & I had worse hangovers in the past but I was concerned about my conduct affecting us. I'm surprised I didn't get kicked out or had my ass kicked. Tony said it was funny & amusing, nothing more. My roomies laughed it off when I apologized. They're some tolerant-ass people. Moral of the story: eat a full lunch & dinner before drinking that 40. Im always embarassed whenever folks fill in the blanks for my alcohol-induced memory lapses. At the same time, I've laughed and done much of the same for other friends and relatives, so live & let live.

1 comment:

Freefall Jones said...

Those two young girls probably deserved it.