Sep 1, 2005

Nocturnal

Last night was The Little Brother Tour @ Slim's. Great show. All the acts had good energy & aren't too serious that they couldn't crack jokes or even employ choreographed back-up dancing. 9th Wonder himself came out near the end. I appreciate the fact that Slim's shows end before midnight, ensuring that the acts have nathing to do but perform. It also keeps us geriatrics from having to nurse sore legs & backs from standing from 9pm-2am straight. I spent most of the show firmly seated & catching glimpses of the performers' heads over the standing crowd & waving arms. My favorite line of the night: "Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right." from Legacy The Rock Star, who even played Pat Benetar's "Invincible" between songs. Almost as cool as Little Brother's entrance theme of "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" by The Dan Band.

Yes we did have the 32/40oz-w/-chinese-food preshow warmup. Definitely buzzed, but no beligerence from anyone. None of us really should've drove at all, but I was the most capable by default. Gorging on food defintely offset the alcohol's long-term effects for the night. In my case, it also helped that I just had a pansy MGD instead of a damn Steel Reserve this time.

The day was a bit dampened by calls from a friend who was crying rivers & driving aimlessly after a domestic dispute. It's hard enough to talk to someone when they just "want to hide from everyone" but it's even harder when I have guests w/ me. By the end of the night, she was calmer & was making her way back home. All I can do is check in today.

Also got a voicemail from "Tom Cruise's kid" (see my last blog), who sounded either tired, drugged, or melancholy. I think I'll give that one a few more days to sort out everything. Repeating my known stance um repeatedly isn't constructive or helpful right now. Might be selfish or f-ed up, but who the hell are you anyway?

Finally, I got a call while we were driving home on the bridge. After I told her where I was she told me to call when I got home. We ended up just talking for a bit...but just small talk. The night before that we did a late Nation's run & sat on opposite ends of her living room couch. I tried to get her to say good things aboot him but it always ended up going back to complaining. I said I didn't feel it was my place to directly advise a break-up, but there seemed to be more negatives than positives (which included "I can put up with his temper"). I think she's just a night owl who doesn't sleep & likes to talk until early morn, not necessarily waiting for late-night frivolity....

...although I'm sure Alger may still argue for the midnight Tera screening, if not anything else that may come from such an activity. Time for me to put my arms around my little lost n' found & tell her that I.....

1 comment:

Langdon Alger said...

whatever dude...I think the rest of the peanut gallery would agree with me about the Tera late night viewing invite...plus from an outsiders point of view..I think the stories are starting to get a little jumbled and confusing..in regards to the B's and C's and KK that is..wait a second..what was I talking about?..