Nov 29, 2005

Random: BBQ Hot Tub/Eye Of The Wepner

This is as random as anything: driving home on Highway 4, I saw a banner announcing the opening of a most unusual combo-themed business: Spa & BBQ. The back of the building faces the highway so I couldn't get a look at the front of this bizarre franchise. I can understand having a backyard jamboree with meat cooking while you chill in your spa, but who decided to go public with it? I can even imagine some people's digestion being unable to handle a full stomach of BBQ submerged underwater w/ powerful jets chopping up the water. Just don't hold it against me if I'm so beat from work I stop in for unwinding in the tub with baby back ribs.

I'm watching ESPN Classics right now. They're showing the 1975 Muhammad Ali vs. Chuck Wepner match. Wepner pretty much looks like how you'd imagine a jobber with a name like Chuck Wepner. Balding crown, with thin yet long, wiry hair around the sides. After 7 rounds, he looks like that chick wearing the dude's face from The Devil's Rejects. What makes this all-around bashing so interesting is that Wepner's courage-through-ass whipping inspired a young actor to write a screenplay about an underdog boxer. He ended up starring in his own movie, and 30 years after the match Sylvester Stallone announces that he's writing & starring in Rocky 6.

2 comments:

Freefall Jones said...

Thank goodness Stallone changed his name. I don't know if the series would have gone as far if it was Wepner vs. Drago.

Son of Gigan said...

Worse yet, Stallone has said that he flat out lifted Wepner's story for the movie. Wepner didn't get a penny and sued Stallone's 5-foot ass, and LOST.

But I guess things could be worse. I mean, it's not as if they took a guy like Stallone who's never been in a fight in his life and made a STATUE of him or anything...