Apr 14, 2006

The Da Vinci Code


Riding the bus to and from work means I get to do a lot of reading. Three novels in two months. The second of those books was The Da Vinci Code. I got it as a gift two Christmases ago from Poshmom (and her Posh-husband). The book is a really easy and quick read -- especially now that you can imagine Forest Gump and Amelie as the two leads.

The ending was a bit of a letdown for me - but that's because the build-up to it was so engaging I couldn't help but work the mystery out in my head before I got to the end (damn all those Encyclopedia Brown books I read in elementary school!).

And even though this is a fictional murder-mystery, Dan Brown weaves in A LOT of details -- architectural and artistic. He also mixes in controversial concepts and debates about religion and religious history.

The quick pace of the book is the reason I got sucked in so quickly. Brown keeps the language simple -- at first I thought it was too simple and was kind of boring for about the first thirty-or-so pages, but as soon as the black light hits and Sophie Neveu storms into the Louvre to give Robert Langdon her phone, the book manages to stay engrossing and suspenseful for THE NEXT FOUR HUNDRED PAGES. No joke. Give it a try --don't let my "figuring out the real killer and solving the final puzzle with about fifty pages to go" deter you from reading it.

And don't be a snob. If it's good enough for Ron Howard and mullet-ed Tom Hanks, it's good enough for you.

---

Who are Freefall Jones and EGMCruz?

No comments: